MODIFIERS AND THEIR USAGE
Modifier 25: Usage and Abuse
Modifier 25 is significant identifiable evaluation and Management Service which is done by the physician on the same Date of Service
What is modifier 25 ?
Modifier 25 is significant identifiable evaluation and Management Service which is done by the physician on the same date of service so what does that mean that means when the patient is seen by the physician on the same date of service each visit should have its significance its reason and then only it is paid by the insurances accepted by the insurances and you would not be ending up getting denial from the insurance.
Wait so does that mean if I'm billing two services for any patient for the same data service I should use modifier 25?
The answer is no. Let's understand what are the basic requirements
Here are some modifier 25 specific requirements:
1. The visit of the patient should be significant and indicates that it is Medically Necessary
2. Both the E/M services provided should be separate and have a significant diagnosis
3. Modifier 25 always goes with E/M code you would not add 25 to any other CPT codes
4. Second E/M billed should have its significance its requirements and own diagnosis with the problems which indicate that It was medically necessary.
5. In simple language, 25 modifier is only used when you are billing to E/M services for single date of service and will only be paid by insurance if you are billing with the modifier 25 and both the visits have their significance.
6. For Example A visits doctor for hypertension issues and doctor evaluates problem and bill for E/M service. A visits again to doctor in evening for preventive routine checks in such scenario we can bill E/M with Preventive CPT Codes appending modifier 25 to E/M CPT Codes.
I hope this article helps and give clarity to your confusion. If you have any feedback you can comment below and your comments will be appreciated.
Our Promotional Offer on Medical Billing September 2019
Absolutely Free 1 Week
This will help you to analyze our workflow and our communication pattern. Dont just follow what is said experience yourself and see the difference. This is absolutely free program for a week. Our reports and In depth analysis will show health of your revenue and cash flow.
Precertification and Appeals
Precertification and Appealing is a tough job and needs a lot of experience and skills to execute correctly.
We have the right skills and 4 years of experience in Precertification and Appealing to all workers compensation insurances. We fax the correct APTP forms to correct insurances and on top of all we upload the proof of fax along with precert or appeal. Easy access to office staff and admin. We are always available to help you on each file or request. Call us today @ 609-840-7792